[GRLUG] Social norms

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:25:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
>  <adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > I hoped to remove this conversation from the existing thread because
>  >  > the existing thread had a lot of great information about 64-bit linux
>  >  > and didn't want to sully it my meaningless drivel.  I wanted this to
>  >  > be in a whole new thread so those that want to follow the 64-bit
>  >  > question can without wading through this stuff.  History has shown
>  >  > that this topic can get heated and long winded.
>  >  > I thought I was doing a good thing.  I am sorry if I offended anyone.
>  >
>  >  The Subject, at least in "real" mail clients, is not what drives
>  >  threading.  A reply message contains the message-id of the message to
>  >  which it is a reply, like:
>  >
>  >
>  >  Every message has a [theoretically] unique message-id recorded in the
>  >  Message-ID header.  A message may also contain a "References" header
>  >  that contains a list of message-ids that the sending mail client
>  >  believed related to the thread of the current message in order to help
>  >  the receiving mail client in case it lacks the immediate parent [in the
>  >  thread] of the message - remember that e-mail messages can arrive
>  >  out-of-order relative to when they were actually sent.
>  >
>  >  So to create a new thread you must always click "compose" and never
>  >  "reply".
>  >  --
>  >           Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
>  >   Contact:awilliam at whitemiceconsulting.com   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  grlug mailing list
>  >  grlug at grlug.org
>  >

>  I didn't know that. sorry  I use gmail which splits out threads based
>  on subject only.
>

>  --
>  Share and Enjoy
>  Ben

Sorry to reply to my own e-mail, but I concede the point about bottom posting.

I guess it was g-mail and my own laziness that made me top post.  I
liked hitting reply and just typing.  I didn't have to scroll down to
the bottom or hit cntrl-end then click above the signature.  Anyway It
was just easier.  I still abhor interspersed replies.

I just tried to change gmail to bottom post and realized it doesn't
have the option, but Googleing came up with a grease monkey script.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/14256

Now bottom posting is just as easy as top posting was.

--
Share and Enjoy
Ben