[GRLUG] Social norms

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:07:37 EDT 2008

> I hoped to remove this conversation from the existing thread because
> the existing thread had a lot of great information about 64-bit linux
> and didn't want to sully it my meaningless drivel.  I wanted this to
> be in a whole new thread so those that want to follow the 64-bit
> question can without wading through this stuff.  History has shown
> that this topic can get heated and long winded.
> I thought I was doing a good thing.  I am sorry if I offended anyone.

The Subject, at least in "real" mail clients, is not what drives
threading.  A reply message contains the message-id of the message to
which it is a reply, like:

Every message has a [theoretically] unique message-id recorded in the
Message-ID header.  A message may also contain a "References" header
that contains a list of message-ids that the sending mail client
believed related to the thread of the current message in order to help
the receiving mail client in case it lacks the immediate parent [in the
thread] of the message - remember that e-mail messages can arrive
out-of-order relative to when they were actually sent.

So to create a new thread you must always click "compose" and never
"reply".
--
          Consonance: an Open Source .NET OpenGroupware client.
 Contact:awilliam at whitemiceconsulting.com   http://freshmeat.net/projects/consonance/