[GRLUG] Social norms

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Mon May 12 07:28:24 EDT 2008

Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Justin Popa <tehpopa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seriously this is the third time my mailbox has to be plagued by e-peen
>> 'This is how you internets' conversations from this list and seriously it's
>> just annoying as hell right now. Thanks for the help with everything, but
>> I'm sick of it.
>>

> Next time you're in a court room, board or staff meeting, or any other
> deliberative assembly, try letting them know that following Robert's
> Rules of Order isn't the only way to manage a meeting.  See how well
> that goes over.
>
> As J-T R has mentioned, 30 years of experience has determined that
> this way works least-worst.  I'm not going to tell you that you can't
> top post.  That's not my place.  I'll just point out that, as with any
> social norm, disregarding it carries a penalty - a social stigma.  One
> that generally results in thrice-full mailboxes of 'e-peen'.
>
> If you're really so upset with the conversation, how about modifying
> your habits so it doesn't happen [to you] again?
>
> --tim

Here is the problem though: It seems to be about a 50/50 split on this
list between people who like top posting (I am one of them) and people
like you. I bottom post on this list just because bottom posting zealots
are the loudest, most annoying people on the planet and I'd rather eat
my own shoe then have to constantly deal with the zealotry of bottom
posting advocates. So, in that respect, your application of social
stigma is effective. But on other lists where it's no big deal I switch
back to top posting for small replies and interspersed posting on longer
and/or multi-point posts.

For my part I don't really care which method someone uses. I'll find
their reply if I'm really interested. Doesn't matter if it's top,
bottom, or interspersed. What I strongly dislike are people who are
vitriolic either way. Top posting zealots aren't much better than bottom
posting zealots.

Anyway, don't automatically assume that anyone died and made you king.
This list hardly seems to have a consensus on top/bottom posting so you
can't pretend that your position is actually the accepted one.