[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Fri May 9 14:27:12 EDT 2008

> I did the research a few years ago when I built up my desktop and came
> to the same conclusion.  I am interested to hear about recent ideas on
> 64bit computing.  I've triple booted a few times with a 64bit distro
> and didn't feel any difference, so I stayed with 32bit.

Yes, I'm running 64bit Arch on my laptop mostly just because I can. It
wasn't really because of any speed difference (though compiling does
seem faster.) But I still believe that 64 bit is the future and we may
as well embrace it. More registers, nearly unlimited virtual space, 64
bit ops natively. Arch64 has almost the same # of packages in native 64
bit as it does for 32 bit so you really don't miss much. Pretty much all
of the hardware in my toshiba x205 laptop works perfectly well.