[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Fri May 9 14:02:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I've got a brand-spankin-new laptop that I'd like to run Linux on.
>> Thing is, this is my first box with a 64-bit processor.  I don't yet
>> know if I want to run Ubuntu or Gentoo, but one problem remains: Do I
>> run 32-bit or 64-bit?
>
> 32;  it is easier, less fuss, and 64-bit on a laptop is entirely
> pointless.  64bit is not necessarily any faster and is even slower in
> some circumstances.  Use 64bit if you have oodles of RAM and run have
> processes that are enormous - both of which are unlikely on a laptop
> unless you are editing HD video.

I did the research a few years ago when I built up my desktop and came
to the same conclusion.  I am interested to hear about recent ideas on
64bit computing.  I've triple booted a few times with a 64bit distro
and didn't feel any difference, so I stayed with 32bit.

Share and Enjoy
Ben