[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:56:52 EDT 2008

> So I've got a brand-spankin-new laptop that I'd like to run Linux on.
> Thing is, this is my first box with a 64-bit processor.  I don't yet
> know if I want to run Ubuntu or Gentoo, but one problem remains: Do I
> run 32-bit or 64-bit?

32;  it is easier, less fuss, and 64-bit on a laptop is entirely
pointless.  64bit is not necessarily any faster and is even slower in
some circumstances.  Use 64bit if you have oodles of RAM and run have
processes that are enormous - both of which are unlikely on a laptop
unless you are editing HD video.