[GRLUG] Joint Meeting :- GR-LUG and GR-JUG

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri May 9 10:00:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 09:49 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > As for discussion topics, I would suggest starting with a presentation
> > > on where Java and Linux intersect, and all of the software Sun has
> > > been open sourcing lately. You could also present on the many Java
> > > programs for Linux: Eclipse, Netbeans, Tomcat, and Glassfish co0me
> > > immediately to mind.
> > I just went through setting up an Apache Tomcat v6.0.16 application
> > server, using Sun Java6 update 5. Just to use a report server called
> > "i-Net Crystal Clear Plus Report Server"
> > I also had to figure out why the MySQL Connector J v5.0.16 was screwing
> > things up. I also had to figure out why _*all*_ the "jars" in a "lib"
> > directory would not properly load. They were proper jar files (similar
> > to tar files with manifests in them) but a "standalone listener" would
>
> Yep,  I usually have to resort to the keep-sticking-the-jars-places till
> it works.  I'm sure there is a more rational/systematic process,  but
> I've just got no idea what it is;  and the Tomcat docs aren't helpful on
> that score.

Some SAGELY advice from a couple of *REALLY* senior Java Engineers I
know, these guys are not only Java people, both of them are VERY GOOD in
more languages you can count on your hands... even if you had an extra
finger on each hand. IMO, these two guys are in the top 0.1% of Software
Engineers in the World, perhaps even 0.01%. But enough on that and how I
came to that conclusion for now.

Here are the rules as far as getting java (mostly any version from 1.2
on) to load all the jars:

     1. If you want any "jar" to be actively used and picked up by java,
        explicitly include it on the classpath
     2. If you have problems with any other jar files, please see rule

So now you know why I put the shell script in there for all to see.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2