[GRLUG] Joint Meeting :- GR-LUG and GR-JUG

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu May 8 22:59:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 12:04 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Carlus Henry <carlushenry at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         In the interest to have a good meeting, I would like to get
>         some feedback and thoughts from you on what you would like to
>         see from a joint meeting of our respective groups.  Should we
>         have a formal presentation style meeting or should we have a
>         more workshop style?  What topics should we discuss?
>
> I didn't  realize there was a GRJUG, so you at least got one new
> recruit (me) out of this proposal.
>
> As for discussion topics, I would suggest starting with a presentation
> on where Java and Linux intersect, and all of the software Sun has
> been open sourcing lately. You could also present on the many Java
> programs for Linux: Eclipse, Netbeans, Tomcat, and Glassfish co0me
> immediately to mind.

I just went through setting up an Apache Tomcat v6.0.16 application
server, using Sun Java6 update 5. Just to use a report server called
"i-Net Crystal Clear Plus Report Server"

I also had to figure out why the MySQL Connector J v5.0.16 was screwing
things up. I also had to figure out why _*all*_ the "jars" in a "lib"
directory would not properly load. They were proper jar files (similar
to tar files with manifests in them) but a "standalone listener" would
not run dynamically load them, even though the Java Dynamic Updateable
Loader SAW and cataloged them... it just would not load them all. even
-classpath $WEB-INFDIR/lib wouldn't load them/

All in all, tomcat6 loaded everything just fine after I reverted back to
using the v3.1.2 MySQL Connector J. But I ended up doing a small shell
script to construct a "-classpath"

Its pretty ugly IMO, but it works and my bossman tried something in Perl
and it kept bombing during the loading.

-------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

JAVA="/usr/local/java6/bin/java"
MEM="-Xms128m -Xmx1000m"
BASECC="/usr/local/tomcat6/webapps/ccr/WEB-INF"
CP="$BASECC/classes"
# Exclude CC-Viewer from Classpath as it blocks logging completely
# But it is needed to deliver to the client, to see the reports
EXCL_JAR="-e CC-Viewer"
HEADLESS="-Djava.awt.headless=true"
PORT="10036"
CMD="com.inet.report.RemoteInterface"

cd $BASECC/lib

JARLIST=`/bin/ls | /bin/grep -i jar | /bin/grep -v -i $EXCL_JAR | /usr/bin/xargs`

for FILE in `echo $JARLIST`
        do
                TEMP=":$BASECC/lib/$FILE"
                CP="$CP$TEMP"
        done

cd $BASECC

$JAVA $MEM -classpath $CP $HEADLESS $CMD $PORT &

-------------------------------------

I am actually running this remote interface out of the Tomcat6 deployed
webapps area, mainly because it was told to me it *(W|C)OULD NOT* work
EVER, PERIOD. By Tech Support from the company, as they said logging
wouldn't work.

Only thing I had to do was create a logging fifo so that both tomcat6
and the standalone remote interface could log to the same file without
trouncing each others access to the log file. Then create a "cat"
process to log to the real file. And of course... check for the fifo and
make sure the cat process is running, making a symlink made by doing:
"ln -s /bin/cat /bin/ccr79cat" makes things much simpler.

The remote interface is the "API" interface for the Report server, think
of it JUST like the Tomcat6 report server without the Web-Interface to
post stuff.

Oh, the one thing *I* do need to finger out, is whether or not I have
made a proper "WAR" or Web ARchive and in the proper context so that
Tomcat6 can auto deploy it.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2