[GRLUG] Printers

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Mar 24 14:36:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 02:14:48PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 11:37 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
> > My ancient HP LaserJet 4 is dying, and the wife is clamoring for more
> > color in her life. It seems like every printer these days is either a
> > cheap piece of crap, an ink rip-off, or both. What do you all suggest
> > for an infrequently used color printer?
>
> If you are looking for an All-In-One... A Printer/Scanner/Copier
>
> I've had an Epson RX600 for a few years... though the Ink is a bit
> pricey, it is a six cartridge printer and lasts a while, that is if you
> put it in draft mode fo 90% of printing. Otherwise everything comes out
> WET.
>
> The only time i put it in full quality mode is for NICE pictures. They
> are nice when they come out.
>
> The inks are: (Cyan (C), Light Cyan(c), Magneta(m), Light Magneta(m),
> Yellow(y), Black(K)
>
> And lookey that $199 with two instant rebates $129.99:
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63069505
>

> Operating Systems
>
>       * Windows Vista™ XP Professional x64, XP, 2000
>       * Mac OS® X 10.2.8, 10.3.9 –10.4.x or later (PowerPC® or Intel®
>         processor)
>
> But since we all know that OSX uses CUPS, then so can Linux. Just grab
> the PPD and put it in place.
>
> Oh and you can buy it at Best Buy online only it appears... though the
> RX595 is available... similar configuration but cheaper.

Some of us did not know that OSX uses CUPS (having no interest in OSX
whatsoever...).  The Kodak 5100 AllInOne works with OSX 10.4 or
later...  The color ink cartridge is only $14.00 and the black
cartridge is only $9.99.  My wife uses one with her new Vista laptop.
It has amazing quality and the ink!  It is sooo *inexpensive*!  Perhaps
I can use it with Linux, after all.  (I do not need the scanner part
and one does not need a PC to make copies with it.)  I bought it new
from w00t for $50.  In the stores one can get it for $100.
--
john-thomas
------