[GRLUG] Free DELL with several VIRUS'

Steve Romanow slestak989 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:59:55 EDT 2008

Casey DuBois wrote:
> Hi Lug,
> I received a Free DELL with Several VIRUS' and am planning on loading Ubuntu.
> If I just do the install will it get rid of everything on the drive (like the virus and M/S), or is there something I should do before the install?
>
> Casey

The newer dell's are coming with a diagnostic partition, and possibly a
"media center" partition (for media playback w/o booting).  Do not try
to use the media center stuff with a linux machine, it does some mbr
trickery and you will not be able to boot again (until you fix your
mbr).  The dignostic partition can be saved or deleted, up to you.

I use a win32 product called Acronis TrueImage and have a full disk
backup of my dell pre-ubuntu just in case I want or need it.  Come to
think of it, I may de-vista my machine with this backup.  thanks for
reminding me I have that image.  ;)