[GRLUG] Linux SOS

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Mar 8 14:14:58 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 13:52 -0500, Jason Kisner wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm part of GRCC's Computer Club and we run a PC Clinic.
> Well, story short, someone from the club installed Fedora on a
> customer's computer. The customer wishes to have Windows back but
> needs to know how to use Fedora until then. they have a paper due
> monday and needs to know how to find what data might be there and so
> on.
>
> the Fedora release is 8. that's all the info I have. if someone can
> help please contact as soon as possible.

How was Fedora Core 8 installed?

Over top of Windows, meaning everything is gone?
Windows Partition re-sized and Fedora Core 8 installed along side
Windows? If along side... Windows should be a booting option at boot
start.

More info is needed.

Oh, by the way, if they Have a good install of Fedora Core 8, they will
have Open Office on it, which is easily a good substitute for "M$
Office".

If they cannot get into the machine, then they need to find out what the
username and password was that was added for them. Remembering *NIX is
CaSe-SeNsItiVe

a username of: greg

means: greg
not: Greg or GREG or GrEg or GrEG or greG or (ad-infinitum)

And passwords a exactly the same way!

a password of:  Password

means: Password
not: password or PASSWORD or PassWord or (ad-infinitum)

If they know the root user's password...

they can fix the username they have or add one.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2