[GRLUG] IBM NetVista not booting graphical environment - UPDATE

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Mar 6 17:51:31 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:27:07PM -0500, George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
> As a "long shot" on this thread:
>
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 15:50 -0500, Steve Romanow wrote:
> > john-thomas richards wrote:

> > I check with my friend that i knew was using a dual p3 rig and he's not
> > ready to part with it.  ;)
>
> Only after you strike out on the P-III option, I have a couple not
> expensive socket A server MoBos not now in use.  I have no experience
> how XP might load on it...  AT-extended form factor / dual athalon (one
> core) chips / 233mhz ECC memory / PCI & PCI-E slots.  The slowest chip
> option is around 1.2ghz & pretty cheap, the fastest is 2.13ghz & maybe
> $100/pair?
>
> The only value these things might have is to preserve the cases (etc)
> you are starting with?  I have them because it has been hard for me to
> find suitable mid-tower cases (on the cheap!) over the past few weeks.

Yes, preserving the existing hardware is the biggest reason for looking
for a Pentium III motherboard.  I already have the RAM, hard drives,
video card, and processors.  If I upgrade the motherboard, I must also
buy new processors and RAM.  Bleh.  Even though Pentium III technology
is "old" it is good enough for a decent desktop machine or a file /
print server.
--
john-thomas
------