[GRLUG] SFLUG Donating Open Source computers to schools

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 07:27:08 EST 2008

oops, I thought it was only the labor that was being donated, not the
network. That would diminish my suggestion a bit. I work for a
non-profit, and just the other day received a letter from NAEIR, not
sure who they are, but they claim to be donating $100 Million dollars
worth of Hardware and Software to non profit organizations. I don't
want to post the 800 number here, but contact me off list, and I will
give it to you.

jdenick @ rtl.org

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Casey Dubois <cdubois at n-vint.com> wrote:

>  On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Joe Vanderstelt
>  <thisboyiscrazy at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > But there are other non profits, Love INC for example, that could use
>  >  them and are not as worried about maintenance.
>  >
>  >  This would be a good project for the GRLUG
>
>  I agree.  But before I can make pitches elsewhere to get volunteers, I
>  need to be able to put together a halfway-decent info packet.  And a
>  little prior planning for the project doesn't hurt, either. :-)
>
>  So, with that in mind, here is a list of things to be addressed:
>  * Where are the PCs coming from?
>
>  I would try to find a quantity of identical machines from a local Business or we could take donations and purchase used systems.
>

>  * What will be the minimum performance level for the machines?
>
>  This will be determined by what I can get. (what are the suggested minimum I should look for)?
>

>  * Can we get parts to upgrade poorer machines to this minimum?
>
>  I would try to get x-tra systems so we can use some for spare parts.
>

>  * What distribution will be installed on *all* of the machines?
>  (Determined by the minimum performance level)
>
>  I was thinking Ubuntu like SFLUG
>

>  * Who will want the machines?
>
>  I don't think finding a worthy school or non profit would be an issue I liked the Love Inc idea.
>

>  * Can they take care of the machines? How do we ensure that we don't
>  become a maintenance crutch. Or do we want to do support?
>
>  We would prefer someone that can take care of them but if they cannot I believe there would be members that could offer affordable support.
>

>  * Where will the install fest work take place?
>
>  I have not checked with the boss yet but was thinking of the install fest here @ N-Vint in Caledonia OR I have a location in Jenison with plenty of room.
>

>  For my information packet, I'll need to at least know where the
>  machines are coming from, where they'll be going and where people will
>  need to show up in order to help.
>
>  If the group is interested I can offer the following:
>
>  1. Locate systems
>  2. Transport and store the systems
>  3. Locate homes for them
>  4. Provide Install location