[GRLUG] Choice of MB - Trouble Installing

rh90p at comcast.net rh90p at comcast.net
Sat Jun 7 00:05:27 EDT 2008

Video is an 8X card in an 8X slot.  I'm not a complete idiot.

ASUS says the drivers needed for the VIA and Promise are ONLY available for Windows.  My experience was leading me in that direction.  SuSE 9.3 seems to work except that it can't seem to deal with some state the VIA and Promise controllers seem to be in.  I'm not sure what is causing the kernel panic but its occuring at about the point where it might be attempting to access disks.

I was getting the impression that VIA might no be well supported lately and someone else just said the same thing.  VIA used to be supported back when my P3V4X was new but I had the trouble with the Tyan Tiger 133 which was VIA and these are VIA.  Maybe its still in the kernel but no longer included by default.  If I could get something to work that I could build a kernel on I could find that out.

From: Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net>