[GRLUG] Choice of MB - Trouble Installing

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Jun 4 11:57:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 05:15 +0000, rh90p at comcast.net wrote:
[snip]
> I removed the battery and shorted the reset pin, then reinstalled the
> battery.  It didn't change anything.  I suspect that the VIA and
> Promise SATA (RAID capable) controllers keep their setting on chip and
> the reset pin only resets the mainboard.  The reason I suspect the
> controllers is because when I try and reinstall from the SuSE 9.3
> which was working, it says that everything is part of a RAID array and
> the feature is not supported.  Note that that would mean it is joining
> drives on two different controllers.  Or maybe 3 since I think the IDE
> is effectively separate.

These RAID lite chipsets (which is what they are) do not store configs
in them.

It is either stored on the HDs or in BIOS.

In BIOS turn off the RAID function to make it a regular ATA/SATA
controller, I know ASUS has that option in the BIOS, I have an AV8B and
AV-133 and about 5 other ASUS model currently here at home.

That "RAID" stuff is only really Supported in Windows via a Software
Driver. It' d be better to use MD-RAID rather than rely on the getting
that to work.

REAL RAID controllers cost money and are typically worth it.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2