[GRLUG] Kernel help

Colin Vallance grlug at tankrip.com
Mon Jun 2 22:33:32 EDT 2008

Not having compiled kernels before, I was hoping someone might be able
to lend me some insight.  Here's what I've got going.

I am building a firewall/router/ap out of an old watchguard firebox
700.  I am using pyramid linux (http://pyramid.metrix.net/trac/)as my
distribution due to it's small stature and default read only booting
(everything lives on a flash card).  While Pyramid is based on ubuntu,
it does not have dpkg or apt-get so any compiling needs to be done on
another system.  I have a ubuntu server setup with the pyramid kernel
and config for compiling anything I might need to.  So far I have
successfully compiled a tulip network driver on this box as a kernel
module, moved it over, loaded it, and got my 3 other nics up.

What I'm having trouble with presently is compiling a whole kernel to
suit some needs.  Those needs are the following:
	1. Add the tulip network driver (in kernel, not module) and remove
all other unnecessary ones
	2. Add kernel support for APM real mode.  (The box does not reboot
when I ask it to, I'm hoping this will fix that)

Ok, so...

Not having really compiled full kernels before, what is the "proper"
method for doing this?  I've tried the following:

copy config file to source dir
make clean
make menuconfig (selecting my two requirements in addition to the
preset config file)
make
Also tried make bzimage
scp kernel to firebox
add line in menu.lst, reboot and select new kernel.

This generally leads me this type of error:

  Booting 'Bzimage'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 console=ttys0,19200n8 reboot=bios

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

So, does anyone have any suggestions or anything obvious that I'm
doing wrong?  Again, I'm a first timer with a kernel so it may be
something really stupid that I just don't know.  I appreciate any help
but I'm really looking for help going down the path that I'm headed,
not "try this distro" or "why don't you just install XXX".  I do want
this functional eventually but the project itself is more about
learning for me so I'm trying not to jump ship when things get
difficult.

Thanks in advance!

-Colin