[GRLUG] Choice of MB - Trouble Installing

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 2 05:10:48 EDT 2008

rh90p at comcast.net wrote:
> I only have one DVD burner on the A8V but the media verification
> checks OK when I boot the CD.  The DVD reader on the CUX4X-DLS
> also passes the media verification.  I think I also tried CD's on
> Fedora 8 burned on the CUX4V-DLS.
>
> Here's the whole scoop which I reran last night to be sure:
>   1) Knoppix 5.2 boots and runs on both machines (caveat) but the
       partitioning seems odd on the A8V (Deluxe)
>   2) Fedora 9 Live burned on CD burner on the CUV4X-DLS starts
       booting and goes a while in graphics mode but then goes black
       screen a little before the bot completes.
>   3) Fedora 9 install from DVD hangs someplace past choosing the
       keyboard type in graphics mode.  In text mode I get a kernel
       panic a little ways in.
>   4) openSuSE 10.3 DVD install gets past all the setup and package
       selection using the default package selection but then a package
       fails to install and it quits.

Does this failure give a CRC error on the RPM package? The last time I
ran into a SuSE install that bombed in this manner it was on an old
motherboard with capacitors on the verge of failing. That is the kind of
thing that could cause different, strange errors in different situations.

       If I deselect that then another
       package fails to install, and so forth until I've deselected 20-30
       packages.  It then completes an install but is somewhat unstable.
       Then when I try and add some of the packages that I want it goes
       tits up.
>   5) SuSE 9.3 installs and runs on both (caveat) and I am still using it
       on the CUV4X-DLS
>   6) Windows XP64 runs on the A8V, Windows 2K runs on the CUV4X-DLS.
       Monitor, Graphics Cards,  disks, CD's/DVDs etc all seem fine. If it
       matters the video on the A8V is an ATI Radeon 7200, the CUV4X-DLS has
       an older ATI which I think is a Rage 128.

> (caveat) There seems to be an issue with the RAID capable Promise and VIA
  SATA controllers.  If I plug in more than one SATA HD the SuSE 9.3 install
  says that its part of a RAID and not supported. The original Linux on the
  machine was installed and running on RAID 0 but later kernels dropped
support
  for RAID and I've been trying to tell the board NOT to enable RAID.
There are
  supposed to be RAID menus triggered by special keys at POST but I cant
get in
  to either menu.  Currently, the Promise with a matched set of small
but very
  fast drives is disabled in the BIOS and there is a single 250G on the
VIA.