[GRLUG] Certification

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Thu Jul 24 15:19:38 EDT 2008

> If a company or it's representative are incapable of recognizing, as
> qualification,  your experience within the group of people developing
> the very software they require support for...  that might be a sign of
> their general competence in other areas.
>
> Further, I will risk suggesting that this might have some bearing on
> how satisfying your employment for said company is likely to be.

HR people, quite often, are only the gatekeepers.  It's like this in
many large companies.  They don't have much technical knowledge at all,
and their job is to find out which applicants meet the minimum set of
requirements they've been given by a department within the company.

There are benefits to working for a large company, just as there are
benefits to working for a small one.  Just because an HR person is
clueless in a large company, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad
place to work.

Anyway, this is a discussion that's been rehashed over and over again,
so it's probably not worth doing again here.  Suffice it to say that
getting a certification never hurts, and it's generally pretty easy and
inexpensive to do.  If it gets you an interview, then the relatively
small investment in an exam was worth it.

-Ben