[GRLUG] Certification

Colin Vallance grlug at tankrip.com
Thu Jul 24 12:27:39 EDT 2008

Speaking of Jobs...

I am currently looking for a new role in the area of Linux/Network
Administration/Engineering, unfortunately without much luck.  I think
part of my issue is that as far as professional experience goes, my
expertise sits in the Windows arena.  I did gather some minor Linux
responsibilities after our network admin left but it's more
maintenance of current systems rather than project fulfillment.  I do
have some personal experience but I recognize that's much harder to
document on a resume in a way that shines like project based
professional experience.

All that being said, I'm trying to figure out if a Linux certification
of some sort would be advantageous.  Ideally, I'd love to get RHEL
certification but I'm not spending that kind of money unless my
employer helps or I know that they're using Red Hat.  I know CompTia
Linux+ and LPI LPCI certs exist but I don't have any understanding on
how they are viewed in industry.  I know the MCSA/E side greatly
suffers from folks who are "paper only" certificate holders.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, or advise in these areas?

Thanks!

Colin