[GRLUG] One HUGE software repository

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:06:43 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM, George (Skip) VerDuin
<verduin at ameritech.net> wrote:
> It looks like I made my next mistake yesterday.  The debian mirror is an
>  awesome thing.  Yet I'm far enough into it that I hate to cut bait
>  now...
>
>  I mentioned earlier that when I rebuilt my local system repeatedly for
>  practice it looked to me like having a local mirror would save wear and
>  tear on my DSL link and not irritate the debian guys.  The systems I
>  built took a couple hrs for the basic system and a couple more for the
>  desktop build.  I am now at 25GB and in the "i"s headed toward "z" after
>  a day [16(+)hrs] connected by rsync to the MSU repository.  And that
>  statistic is based on a long laundry list of exclusions from the full
>  set of materials.  This moment is not a full 24hr stint yet because the
>  transfer fell apart some time last night for unknown reasons.
>
>  I'm not certain where I went wrong yet, but after reading repository
>  documentation I expected maybe DSL hrs of 4X times a full desktop system
>  load to have the library local.  It may be more like 12X.
>
>  But quite frankly I probably would consume fewer DSL hrs building from a
>  Internet repository VS bringing it here.  *Not* maybe well done by yours
>  truly.
>
>  For anyone else in the group considering similar madness -- if you want
>  to share in it I can now claim to now have some experience?

Back when I was on dial-up, I'd download the latest Debian Testing CD
image set, burn them to disc, take them home and build the repository
that way.  I even had aspirations of getting the process published in
Linux Magazine, so I wrote an article.  I can't find the ODF,
though...Looks like it got lost when I suffered massive FS corruption
last winter.

I ended up switching to ordering CDs online after I got in trouble for
using too much of GRCC's monthly bandwidth budget...

xter