[GRLUG] Disable Internet access on your own laptop

Douglas Rehfeldt drehfeldtusa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:10:30 EST 2008

>>"Try working for an hour and then "rewarding" yourself to five"
>
>I dunno, that 5 minute reward may be like a AA member rewarding
him(her)self with a beer... ;)

Greg had a good response that I'm sure could be used by several others on
the list.  I personally limit Internet access using time-based access
controls on my Internet gateway and proxy.  With a firewall or proxy it's
easy enough to limit access based upon IP or MAC though this doesn't work
for a laptop that travels and you want that policy to apply to the host
system at all times.  So Greg's idea works in that situation and practicing
a little CLI action is a good idea.  But Steve had a good point that hit
home, last night I was checking e-mail and drifted over to Slashdot.
Unfortunately for me I was drinking a beer too...  ;)