[GRLUG] Tonight's meeting

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 23:18:27 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM, George (Skip) VerDuin
<verduin at ameritech.net> wrote:
> You run a good meeting -- quick [but not fast] paced, on topic,
>  participative, informative.  Thanks for the opportunity to attend.

Wish I could have made it.  Stuck home with the flu.

>  <Followup>
>  If you are looking for a wiki admin for the group, I am OK standing up
>  for a little while.  I'm not OK taking it away from someone who wants
>  sole control, and if you select me, my desire is to structure the task
>  in a way that there are several admins after a year and I can step out
>  gracefully without the wiki missing a beat.

I'd be happy to admin (or help admin) the wiki.  I've run Rosetta Code
(http://rosettacode.org) for a year now, so I've got some experience.

>  I did pull the wiki up tonight and try to login -- without joy.  The new
>  user account sign-up data is obscured and held private for the wiki.
>  That is a valid design choice -- which brings me to a new GRLUG
>  community topic valid for this reflector [I believe]:
>
>   What is the consensus opinion for the GRLUG wiki feature list?
>
>  Because I'm a newbie - as a wiki admin I propose to only:
>   a) extend the feature set already provided by the existing wiki.
>   b) establish editing rights for all GRLUG participants (not open)
>   c) guard a mailbox established for the "wiki admin" identity looking
>  for wiki issues to address from the general public readership
>   d) add a sandbox for all of us to play in with topics from past and
>  future meetings.
>
>  Lets talk it up? </Followup>

For a), I'd strongly suggest upgrading to the current version of
MediaWiki.  There's a lot to love in the current version.

For b), it's actually not difficult to enable safe, *anonymous*
editing of a MediaWiki.  Rosetta Code has plain-text (works with lynx)
captchas for anonymous editing, user creation, and for any edit that
adds an external link.  For Rosetta Code, this means that most users
never see the captchas once they've created an account.

d) is as easy as creating a page (Usually at Help:Sandbox), and
leaving it editable to sysops and logged-in users.