[GRLUG] live cd on vista?

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:51:22 EST 2008

I created a BartPE disk ages ago from WinXP and, basically, the only
good use I've found for it is when disk/data corruptions occurs and
you end up with tons of files/folders with ridiculously wierd names
which give bash a run for its money to try to delete.  Even if you go
to a top level directory and try to "rm -rf" recursively delete a
directory tree, it still pukes.  The BartPE windows environment has
deleted those and even renamed a few just fine.  Plus, you can run
things like scandisk and the like.

G-

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> BartPE creates a Windows LiveCD out of an existing Windows box.  If
>  Windows can't read the disk, then BartPE probably won't do much
>  better.  However, if you've got a Windows tool that can still read and
>  recover data from the disk, then that's one way to go.
>
>  Ultimately, using BartPE isn't significantly different from dropping
>  the drive into a working Windows box.
>
>  Use the tools you're familiar with, first.  That's the only
>  recommendation I can really make.
>

>  On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote:
>  > > the version of ntfs-3g you'll be using.  At work, we normally use
>  >  > BartPE for recovering Windows boxes, and tools designed around WinXP's
>  >  > NTFS seem to work just fine with Vista Ultimate.
>  >
>  >  I've never heard of Bart, would it be better for scraping data of a dead
>  >  disk than a Linux live cd?
>  >
>  >
>  >  grlug mailing list