[GRLUG] Linux in the Work Place

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:10:47 EST 2008

I came on board to a new place of employment with much the same
aspirations as most neo-sys-admins.
You know, "I'm gonna switch the whole lot of em over to Linux..."
Well, I have found that the easiest ones
to convince are the oldest. My most senior send users >55 are now all
die hard gentoo users and they
love KDE, Openoffice, Firefox and KMail (my fault there, I like more
than Thunderbird).

What will prove to be most difficult is the one who are addicted to
Adobe Creative Suite, and related products,
showing them Quanta is like showing a Pinto to someone who drives an
Escalade. And forget about trying
to get them to use a text editor. Not to mention those users cost the most too.

I just idly sit back and wait for their machines to break down, and
then exclaim that it will cost $500 bucks to get
a new one with all the software. Or I can pop a boot disk into an old
Pentium III and it will out perform
any dual core Vista Box, for FREE :-) Ooorahhh. Maybe not as shiny,
but definitely more productive. And FREE.

Why do I care what the company spends, I don't know that I do. I just
find it foolish and irresponsible of me NOT
to look for solutions that meet or exceed the needs, for our users for free.

Any way, I though I would share my conversion experience with you all.

--
In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]