[GRLUG] Installing java

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:21:20 EST 2008

I usually just
- download the self extracting distro from Sun (nonRPM version).
- change the permission of this file.
- Run the .bin which unzips the directory structure after having you
agree to the copyright.
- Then I would copy this to /opt
- Optionally create a link of /opt/java/ to /opt/java6.whatever/.
- I would then put /opt/java/bin in the $PATH and you should be good.

Hope this helps.

On Feb 4, 2008 9:09 PM, Nicholas Andres <nandres40 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  n00b with a question...
>
> I just recently installed CentOS 5 on my laptop.
> Previously I was running LinuxMint which ran beautifully...(why oh why did I
> change)  :)
>
> I now have a problem getting the Java Runtime to download and install.
> Normally wouldn't worry about it but the Ferris wireless uses a cisco login
> that requires Java.
> I know I am probably missing something simple but I can not figure it out.
>
> Thanks
> N. Andres

Share and Enjoy
Ben