[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 10:19:12 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for the mice,  it "clearly" has something
> to do with the 2.6 kernel.  The machine runs
> windoz 98SE fine,  and Knoppix V3.6, with
> a 2.4 kernel.  I assume that means something
> to do with the drivers, and how they interact
> with that board.  Maybe a lack of chip set
> support in the 2.6 kernel for a board that old?
> I'm sure legacy hardware support is a big
> issue for the kernel people.  It can lead to lots
> of work and very little payoff.

What are you using for a mouse?  Serial? PS/2? USB?  I don't think the
PS/2 spec has changed much since its introduction twenty years ago.

If you're using a PS/2 mouse, what happens when you cat /dev/psaux?
If you're using a serial mouse, you might need to install and
configure gpm, and poke your X configuration to use gpm.