[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Dec 30 16:42:48 EST 2008

> > I am really disappointed with linux for not support my PC! I did run
> > Fedora.....I got WSOD (White Screen of Death) and nothing appear....I
> > have 64bit hardware, top video card of ATI, I stuck with Windows until
> > Linux build new cure for my PC
> You give up too easily.  Have you tried other distros?  Perhaps you
> should download a live CD of Linux and boot from it.  It sounds like a
> configuration issue more than a hardware incompatibility (although I'm
> not sure I've ever heard of a WSOD).

I think this a recipe for frustration (especially given that distros of
the same vintage are 94% the same);  the purpose of a system is to run
software. The better approach, if you want/need to run LINUX, is to
specifically buy hardware this is supported.

I'm aware of numerous problems using ATI video cards with X, at least
until the most recent versions of X.  For using ATI with openSUSE see
<http://en.opensuse.org/ATI> as there is a special repository you need
to subscribe to.

> > > (try installing 'the mana world' using an rpm
> > > based system, it sucks). "from freedom came elegance" hats off to ya,
> > > mint guys :O)
> > > P.S. I"m 85% deaf with cochlear deafness......So I understand the deaf
> > > comments I been reading, And farewell greg. I really can't blame ya
> > > for moving on. this group has definity wandered on to other things,
> > > even sometimes becoming offensive.
> > YAY Another deaf! How come why I never met Lee?
> Because there are over half a million people in the greater Grand Rapids
> area?  ;-)

There's roughly 200,000 people *in* Grand Rapids, but there are ~1.3
million in the metropolitan area.  Given that about 12 in 1,000 people
have early-onset hearing loss that nets out to about 16,000 people.

I've lost over half my hearing in one ear and I hardly know any of
you! :)