[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Dec 30 15:25:53 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 03:10:35PM -0500, Lee Forest wrote:
> I just thought I would throw in a little something for our LUG. I"ve
> recently decided to try out Linux Mint. And to my surprise it is a
> rather improved spinoff of ubuntu. Uses Ubuntu repositories. Comes
> with the media codecs, and dvd support. An upgraded menu. They even

Is this different from Ubuntu proper (the media codecs, etc.)?  I
thought that was one of the "great" things about Ubuntu over Debian…

> improved the windows based installer(wubi?) And comes with APTonCD
> which appears to be an app that helps you construct an installation cd
> using packages you have installed. I've actually heard that the system

APTonCD sounds like a cool program, but I've only ever installed Debian
on my main machine twice: once several years ago when I first switched
to Debian and again when I got my laptop.  Still, it sounds like a cool
program.  Debian (and presumably the Debian-derivatives like *buntu and,
apparently, Mint) has the facility for copying the list of installed
apps to another machine, but making it into an install CD sounds really
sweet.

> requirements were alittle higher then Ubuntu's, but in reality I'm not
> noticing a big difference on my 700mhz processor, with 512 ram. Tho I

That's a nice bit of Linux evangelism: the latest Linux on old hardware.
Excellent.

> usually end up turning off a few services to improve performance. So
> for those of you who enjoy using ubuntu, Maybe Mint might be a nice
> change of scenario. I know its been rather enjoyable for me. Mint is
> the first distro since 06 to actually replace my usual ubuntu setup
> full time. I"m also dual booting with mandriva, but I find myself
> disappointed with it. (try installing 'the mana world' using an rpm
> based system, it sucks). "from freedom came elegance" hats off to ya,
> mint guys :O)

You dual-boot Linux…and Linux?  Nerd.  ;-)

--
john-thomas
------