[GRLUG] Failure in encrypted sockets and tunnels

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Dec 16 11:08:07 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 10:56 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> > I'm just waiting till they start monitoring the actual traffic to catch
> > people using other ports for outgoing mail. Gotta love vpn.
>
> I recall reading about how a forensic scientist was able to detect
> file types on encrypted drive shares by recognizing changes in data
> statistics due to different kinds of data.  I have to wonder how soon
> it will be before filter and throttle vendors apply the same
> principles to classifying encrypted streams, be they ssh, SSL or
> encrypted VPN.

In fact I made a comment on this very thing here.

I think my usage of 70-80+ SSH sessions at one time is going to seen as
me trying to get around DRM laws or something similar. To that end,
Comcast probably isn't doing it, but all the same they *STILL* drop my
existing SSH sessions about every 16-32 hours.

Where as if I am on my Cellular broadband connection... for days on
end... they never drop.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2