[GRLUG] Failure in encrypted sockets and tunnels

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:56:31 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> I'm just waiting till they start monitoring the actual traffic to catch
> people using other ports for outgoing mail. Gotta love vpn.

I recall reading about how a forensic scientist was able to detect
file types on encrypted drive shares by recognizing changes in data
statistics due to different kinds of data.  I have to wonder how soon
it will be before filter and throttle vendors apply the same
principles to classifying encrypted streams, be they ssh, SSL or
encrypted VPN.