[GRLUG] new Comcast mail blocking?

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Tue Dec 16 10:38:11 EST 2008

Greg Folkert wrote:
> My problem is distance from the CO. I am at 19,900 effective cable feet
> from the CO. Even though I'm really 14K wire feet.
>
> This means I cannot have anything from a DSL provider except iDSL... or
> DSL over ISDN (Dual-B+D channel) at 144Kbits/sec. Which using DSL over
> that reduces the effective speed to about 128Kbits/sec.
>
> Heck, I'd have to pay for the ISDN and DSL service. I'd rather just pay
> for an ISDN ISP service and get 144Kbits/sec... with my own ISDN modem
> (I have 3 already)

Yeah, we had this problem at work. We're 18k feet from the CO. We wanted
business DSL but no dice on that. Then we looked into business cable
internet but no cable lines were in sight either. So we were stuck with
dialup until a T-1 carrier came to see us. T-1 lines cannot bridge 18k
either (they are, after all, DSL circuits) but when you spend many
hundreds a month the phone company becomes motivated to install enough
repeaters to get the signal to you.

> I'd be perfectly happy with AT&T's Uverse except for the fact limiting
> is coming into play already, and AT&T does have the direct line to the
> CIA/NSA thing... so my comfort level isn't very good. In general my
> comfort level isn't very good on these things.

Yes, your comfort level shouldn't be very good with any internet
connection. One really must assume that all internet connections (in the
US) are either monitored by the NSA or could easily be monitored at any
time by them or someone else. That's why encryption is your friend. ;-)