[GRLUG] new Comcast mail blocking?

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Tue Dec 16 09:51:58 EST 2008

Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 14:17 -0500, Don Wood wrote:
>
>>> I agree it's stupid, but it's not the same thing as draconian new laws.
>>> Censorship is what *governments* do, not businesses.  If I own a radio
>>> station and I don't want to play any songs about drunken brawls in
>>> bars,
>>> that ain't censorship.  It's my business and I choose which products to
>>> offer and in what manner to offer them.  If the government tells me I
>>> cannot play songs about drunken brawls in bars, that is censorship and
>>> completely unacceptable.  As much as I dislike what Comcast is doing,
>>> it's their business.  I could always get DSL or U-Verse.
>>> --
>>>
>> Ah, but not everyone has that choice. Not unless you're willing to lose 80%
>> of your bandwidth to switch to DSL. They've been doing a lot of bad things.
>> They need to participate in net neutrality. If I had *ANYTHING* similar to
>> their speeds where I live I'd be gone.
>>

> I also would be gone. Speeds similar at even twice the cost and I would
> be gone.

I was getting very nice speeds with TDS DSL (5000/768 package I believe
and I got 90+% of rated speed). I only dropped them because I was
trimming finances and didn't need a home phone line. They provide good
customer support and they didn't block any ports, not even port 80
incoming. I had a plan with 5 static ip's on a residential package even.
I'm not sure thats offered anymore but I have nothing but good things to
say about them. I do miss them.