[GRLUG] Pidgin & XMPP Room List

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Dec 15 13:54:29 EST 2008

I have an Open Fire XMPP server used internally for instant messaging.
In either Spark or Gajim entering a conference room is trivially easy.
Now that Pidgin (2.5.2) works with Open Fire again (after roughly three
years) I'm trying to figure out how on earth one enters a conference
room.  There is Tools -> Room List which opens a dialog and asks me to
"select a conference server to query" and provides a blank entry....
Uh... Ok, that's stupid.  The obvious guesses of conference.mormail.com
(the conference service on the XMPP server), conference at mormail.com, or
xmpp.mormail.com (hostname) all fail.  At leas the later give me a 404
error while the first two apparently invoke the
do-nothing-at-all-pretend-like-it-never-happened execution path.