[GRLUG] Linux holding students back????

John Harig radiodurans at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 19:48:55 EST 2008

Well it is true in a certain sense, but in every other sense it is dead wrong.  Most linux people need to throw in some Microsoft competence on a resumé just to get past the HR people ("MS Notepad" etc.). I'm not proud of my knowledge of Micro$oft products, but HR people want to see those qualifications.

It is a mixed blessing though, maybe the student will start his own LUG now, hit the bar camps, and fight the Man.

As for the teacher, this is why I think a LUG needs to spend part of its time educating others. The best way though, I'm not sure.  I have people in my family who would have reacted just like this teacher.

Should you just go out and hand out disks like this student did?  It sounds like this student was using compiz, some heavy bling.

I think, in the end, it will be a silent revolution . . . individuals making the switch on their own, and educating people one by one.  For those who need windows, make it look like that for them ;).