[GRLUG] Linux holding students back????

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Dec 11 12:26:05 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:06 -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Joshua Burns <jdburnz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you kidding??
>
> No, I'm not.  If your goal is to win people's hearts and minds,
> insulting them is not the way to go about doing so.
>
> > Additionally, there will be a meeting with the Ken,
> > Karen and the superintendent
>
> That's great.  I wish he could walk into that meeting with a
> reputation as a calm, rational, reasoning individual.  Instead, Karen
> has likely already shared his personally insulting, anti-union ranting
> diatribe with all involved, and he'll walk in a pariah.
>
> Ken seems to have significant persuasive charisma in face-to-face
> interpersonal situations, I wouldn't doubt his ability to turn the
> situation around in a meeting...  But that doesn't mean he had to make
> the job so hard for himself.
>
> Did the woman _deserve_ to be chewed out?  Certainly.  But if your
> goal is marketing-related, there is nothing to be gained from
> aggressive conflict.  Marketing is first and foremost about gaining
> trust, and insults _never_ accomplish that goal.
>
> (I emphasize a marketing-oriented point of view here, because Ken's a
> self-identified Linux evangelist.  His stated goal is to spread Linux
> (and FOSS) use as far and wide as possible.  That's a goal
> accomplished through marketing.)

Evidently she has been identified through the Austin ISD website... this
is getting ugly. I'll bet some serious fallout from this is going to
happen. Something like ID# 667 (convenient its not 666), I'm betting she
will be very sorry she started this, but the authorities will be even
more motivated to prosecute anyone with stupid ideas or eventually
actions. You *KNOW* the slashdot crowd got a hold of this and many
people are going to do a DDoS or even just DoS or try to do a defacement
or something... justifying a negative response to FOSS. Of course Ken
Starks is going to get hung on this because *HE* started it by stirring
the pot... or so the authorities will think that.

HeliOS will be made an example of, not because he *really* started and
caused this, but because of stupid people with little common sense to
make a good out of this bad.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2