[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 10 16:16:17 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 15:22 -0500, Adam M. Erickson wrote:
> > I run the Virtual Center client..... in a VM! :)
> If you wanted to use ESX ,you could then control ESX using Virtual
> Center client on a VM using.... XP Pro or MS Servers?
> I checked the compatibility and I'm sure you can use XP Pro instead of
> a MS server.
> Is that how you did it?

Not certain what you mean.  Virtual Center Client runs on XP Pro, Vista,
2003, etc...  Not to be confused with Virtual Center *Server* which runs
*ONLY* (last I knew) on Windows 2003 server [maybe it works on 2008
now?].   Virtual Center *Server* is *NOT* free and *NOT* *REQUIRED* to
manage ESX3/ESX3i boxes via Virtual Center *Client*;  the client can
connect to either Virtual Center Server *OR* directly to an ESX host.
And the client is available as a download, via HTTP, from every ESX
host.

It is rather confusing at first since people habitually say "Virtual
Center" and leave off whether they are talking about VCC+VCS or just
VCC.

VCC = Virtual Center Client
VCS = Virtual Center Server

VCS is *REQUIRED* in order to use Virtual Consolidated Backup, High
Availability, or  VMotion.

We use VSS and VCB (Virtual Consolidated Backup).  We don't use HA or
VMotion (with 3 boxes & 14 VMs it is pretty trivial to manage that stuff
manually).   And I just run VCC on XP Pro on another unmanaged (not in
VCS) ESX box that also isn't supported (uncertified hardware, but it
works fine).