[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 10 14:04:18 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 13:23 -0500, Bruce Smith wrote:
> > Are you running anything that uses attached storage or is it all
> > contained in the vm's themselves?
> All of my storage is directly attached storage, and fiber channel to
> an external array.  I know of people using iSCSI too.

Our servers each have three internal 146GB SAS drives, mirrored pair +
hot spare.  So some small amount of data is kept locally (expendable but
performance critical) while the vast majority of our data, and the VM
images themselves, are on an iSCSI SAN (EMC AX4)

> > I know the footprint is much
> > smaller, is that a small partition to boot from and then remaining
> > disk space is formatted for VM storage?
> Yes.

Yes.

> > My project is to setup an
> > archival system so I'm looking to be able to store files in a RAID5
> > (external storage most likely).
> > I also heard you could edit inetd.conf to get ssh running for console
> > based configuration.
> Yes, you can hack it to run ssh, although it's not very useful.
> The command line configuration is extremely involved!  It's MUCH
> easier to put the infrastructure client on a Windows box and configure
> everything in the GUI.

I run the Virtual Center client..... in a VM! :)