[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 12:23:06 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Adam M. Erickson <adam at openfad.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the list Greg, I need to start using 6 again. I was
> aware of XEN and the PAE kernel but that is about it. 2, 3, and 4 I
> will have to try out. I do not know about 2 and 3 I usually try to
> stay away from most software that starts with a K.

In this case, the K stands for Kernel.  As in the Linux Kernel.

> The only thing I could Google on KEMU was [King Edward Medical University].

That's because it's spelled with a special kind of K...  a Q.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
http://bellard.org/qemu/

And here's KVM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine

Virt-manager works as a convenient frontend for local and remote
administration of many of these...  QEMU (with or without KQEMU), KVM,
Xen, and OpenVZ at least.  Again, it's what you should be looking
into.

http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/

--tim