[GRLUG] ISP Review

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 08:39:35 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:

> I've been on TDS for years. Only once was I down and they are easy to
> talk to. Never had latency problems, good throughput. Except the cheep
> routers they give out, I have nothing but good things to say about them.
> I had NO incoming ports blocked but port 25 is blocked on outbound, had
> to relay through them but non authenticated so its easy to setup a linux
> box to send through them.
>
> Dave

Had "Latest Wave" T1 plugged into a Sangoma card on Linux router for
years.  Their upstream was US Signal.  Great service.  Switched
because of cost.  Had LDMI/Cavalier - big mistake!  Service went out
often, they seemed to have one guy.  Yes, one guy as tech.  Currently
have Paetec (they bought McLeod) w/ similar "Smart-T" product where
voice and data share T1 channels.  Definitely not as fast as when we
had full T1 with Latest Wave.  If you're downloading a CD image at
around 150-180kb/sec, every other connection crawls.  Ping rates go
from 50ms to close to 200ms and remote VPN customers start
complaining.  Awful.  It was the same with LDMI though.  I think it's
the whole sharing bandwidth w/ voice thing.

One of our clients had/has, has/had TDS and seemed pleased.  Dunno if
they still have them though.  I've heard good thing about Iserv.
Toured their facility out on Patterson once.  It seemed pretty up to
date.  I forget who their two upstreams were though.

G-

--

Ubber::Geek
http://grlug.org/