[GRLUG] Solid State Drives

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Dec 1 08:44:11 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 08:04:45AM -0500, Collin Kidder wrote:
> Tim Schmidt wrote:
> > Quite true.  There are always pages (in ram) of cruft that must be
> > there, but will either never or nearly never be accessed.  Getting it
> > out of ram and onto disk frees up those pages for use by more actively
> > accessed information, or just more file caching.  Either way, having a
> > swap file _always_ increases performance.  The question is by how
> > much.
> >
> > A desktop with even a Gb or two of ram can benefit quite a bit from a
> > swap partition (especially if you have long-running, infrequently
> > accessed processes - like a couple firefox windows with a lot of tabs
> > open).
> >
> > On the other hand, we have a machine here with 32Gb ram that doesn't
> > benefit much from a swap partition.  It still has one, and uses it,
> > but only for said crufty pages.  As I look at it right now, it's using
> > 140kb of swap.  35 pages.  Seems tiny and insignificant compared to
> > 32Gb...  until you need it.
> >
> > --tim
> >
> There really is no danger in leaving cruft in RAM so long as there is
> still free RAM. It is only when the RAM has been nearly exhausted that
> things need to be removed. It's a balancing act because it takes a long
> time to save things to swap and a long time to get them back (compared
> to RAM speed.) A tiny bit of swap usage (say, upwards of 10-15% of your
> RAM size or 250MB whichever is smaller) can help things out. Past that
> it's an albatross around your neck and you just need more RAM.

I have two GB RAM on my laptop and almost never access swap.  Currently,
with Firefox running along with several xterms, a couple other gui apps
and a bunch of e17 modules loaded, I have 667,888k of RAM free with 0k
of swap used.  The only time I ever see the swap partition used is when
basketbawful (the *best* NBA blog there is) has, like, 20 youtube videos
in one post.  Sometimes I wonder why I have a swap partition.  Then
again, it seems like I completely over did it with a 2GB swap.  Is there
any benefit to reducing it (other than freeing up some disk space, which
is not an issue)?
--
john-thomas
------