[GRLUG] samba

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:05:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 18:06 -0400, Topher wrote:
>> It's been years since I set up a samba configuration, and I just don't
>> remember how.
>
>> or should I go for the smb.conf file?
>
> Yep.

The smb.conf file will get you started if you are looking for a very
basic config. Once you get into groups and domains (as opposed to the
simpler workgroup), you will want to the Samba Docs.

> I *strongly* recommend using strictly the official Samba documentation,
> it is very complete and well written.  Wikis and BLOBs are littered all
> across the Internet and riddled with incorrect or out-of-date
> information.
>
> http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
> http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

I strongly agree with this. The problem is that there were changes
between Samba2 - which is what most of the HowTos on blogs and such
are aimed at - and Samba3 - which is included as default in most
current distros. The official Samba docs were the best source of
information I found when I transitioned to Samba3. The older HowTos
are just wrong enough that they do more harm than good if you're
setting up Samba3. I found the changes in how groups are created and
specified to be the biggest change.