[GRLUG] samba

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:57:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 18:06 -0400, Topher wrote:
> It's been years since I set up a samba configuration, and I just don't
> remember how.  Are there any handy guis for it,

Nope, or at least none you should trust.  Yast on SuSE is the closest to
a working GUI admin tool we have today.   Very recent version of Samba
support registry based configuration [finally!] so you might be able to
configure them via MMC but that isn't very well tested or documented
yet.

> or should I go for the smb.conf file?

Yep.

> I also stink at windows networking in general, so if anyone has a nice
> simple smb.conf file already, that would be cool.

Most distro's provide a configuration file that is pretty close to
working for "normal" configuration.

I *strongly* recommend using strictly the official Samba documentation,
it is very complete and well written.  Wikis and BLOBs are littered all
across the Internet and riddled with incorrect or out-of-date
information.

<http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/>
<http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/>

SerNET <ftp://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/experimental/> provides quality
packages of current Samba versions for all the mainstream distributions.
Being current with Samba is a real plus for solid interoperability.