[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 29, Issue 15

David Szostek dave at unlimitedventures.com
Sun Aug 10 12:24:08 EDT 2008

I recently got banned from using Comcast's ISP services. I was running an
offsite backup from my home as I would regularly see 6Mbit down vs 1.5Mbit
from our office. Each month they run a report to get the top 1% of their
bandwidth consumers, then take the top 1% of those and threaten to terminate
service. By the time I got my first warning, it was 10 days into the next
month and I had already been triggered in that month's report, so I lose.

They said that their average consumer downloads 4GB/month. I had downloaded
~400GB. For such a large transit provider like Comcast, I would not see
400GB as a lot. But, just a word of warning to anyone else doing anything
similar.

~dave