[GRLUG] anyone else seeing crazy speeds from Comcast?

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Sat Aug 9 20:55:17 EDT 2008

Greg Folkert wrote:
> I use public/private SSH Key-Authentication. I have a nice 60+ character
> pass-phrase. I use SSH-Agent to pass along the private key into the
> systems at work, I turned on auth-forwarding for most of the servers,
> except for the important ones that nobody except admins are supposed to
> login to... like the LDAP servers, the DNS server the MySQL circular
> Replication servers, the Wharehousing slave, the Webserver clusters.
>
> There are other pieces I chose not to use...
>
> And as far as passwords, I have about 20 Password bases (and use
> permutations/misspellings) I have. Plus 4 throwaway passwords. My
> shortest of the 20 password bases is 12 characters. for the throwaways,
> the shortest is 8. The all have case mixing and numbers and punctuation,
> etc. in them.

This is extraordinarily similar to what I do.  I very rarely use
passwords at all, so I can never remember them, so I keep them in a gpg
encrypted file.

It's quite the culture shock when I have to work with a server or person
stuck in the world of ftp with passwords.  It's a huge headache.  I've
actually been asked why I use anything so outdated as ssh.  I tell them
I can't imagine going back to something as insecure and and annoyingly
slow to use as ftp.