[GRLUG] anyone else seeing crazy speeds from Comcast?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Aug 9 18:33:07 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 16:14 -0400, john-thomas richards wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:39:41PM -0400, Topher wrote:
> > Greg Folkert wrote:>
> > > I typically have 30-70 ssh sessions open. When the "reset" the DOCSIS
> > > equipment, all of my session just stop responding and I have to wait for
> > > timeouts to properly end the sessions.
> > >
> > > This has happened as often as once every 10 minutes, to 3 days between
> > > issues. But it always happens sooner or later.
> > >
> > > But yes, I am getting very good speeds, I just wish my SSH sessions
> > > wouldn't just DROP.
> >
> > That's whacky.  I don't ever have nearly the connections you have, but
> > often when I'm working I'll have 2-3 ssh sessions open for 3-4 hours at
> > a time.  I don't know that I've ever been knocked off by Comcast.
>
> Wow.  When I read Greg's message, my mind must have reduced those
> numbers automatically.  I read "3-7"...*70* connections?  Wow.
> Just....wow.  :-)  I can only assume these connections all have
> different passwords, which makes me wonder if his monitor is covered
> with several dozen sticky notes.  ;-)

I use public/private SSH Key-Authentication. I have a nice 60+ character
pass-phrase. I use SSH-Agent to pass along the private key into the
systems at work, I turned on auth-forwarding for most of the servers,
except for the important ones that nobody except admins are supposed to
login to... like the LDAP servers, the DNS server the MySQL circular
Replication servers, the Wharehousing slave, the Webserver clusters.

There are other pieces I chose not to use...

And as far as passwords, I have about 20 Password bases (and use
permutations/misspellings) I have. Plus 4 throwaway passwords. My
shortest of the 20 password bases is 12 characters. for the throwaways,
the shortest is 8. The all have case mixing and numbers and punctuation,
etc. in them.

But then, i have the "corporate" passwords... they are now generated by
a password generator... and we pick out of a field of 100.

Bleah. Password and Pass-phrases... what a pain.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2