[GRLUG] anyone else seeing crazy speeds from Comcast?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Aug 9 13:30:30 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 10:09 -0400, john-thomas richards wrote:
> This morning I am getting amazing speed from Comcast.  My download
> speed is 12,640kbps and upload is 1,827kbps.  See here:
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/306938487.png.
>
> Man, oh, man, I hope this continues.  I wonder if Comcast is feeling
> much pressure from AT&T's U-Verse service.  I have had a number of
> sales reps knock on my door about it.

Yes, AT&T's U-verse is putting pressure on Comcast.

Its shown up here... along with the new cables strung along.

My only real problem with Comcast now, is not LAG. LAG is very minimal
now a day. My problem is them severing network sessions I have on a
regular basis.

I typically have 30-70 ssh sessions open. When the "reset" the DOCSIS
equipment, all of my session just stop responding and I have to wait for
timeouts to properly end the sessions.

This has happened as often as once every 10 minutes, to 3 days between
issues. But it always happens sooner or later.

I have been getting in excess of 1.1Mbytes/sec (as much as 1.8MBytes/sec
actually) for a few years on Comcasts stuff, but only for GigaNews.

I also had a special Motorola Surfboard... one that was slightly
modified and had an non-stock firmware (it had shell access to it). But
since that failed a while ago, I now have a Motorola SurfBoard
SB5101a... no firmware revisions available for it (yet) with enhanced
capability.

But yes, I am getting very good speeds, I just wish my SSH sessions
wouldn't just DROP.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2