[GRLUG] GRLUG meeting topic discussion

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:11:11 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 17:22 +0000, rh90p at comcast.net wrote:
> XMPP is a very good answer.  I have used Jabber but wasn't aware of
> XMPP - I'll have to look into that.

Jabber is XMPP;  or XMPP is the Jabber protocol.

> Are there regional or global servers or can I host that on a server
> off my own laptop?

Many, including Google.  There are also many very nice Open Source or
free XMPP servers (there are, of course, also some real stinkers).

> I used Jabber with another group I was in and the connections were
> brokered through their server.

If you want to run your own server OpenFire
<http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp> is very
complete and ridiculously easy to setup & manage.  We've used if for our
in-house IM for years <http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/node/96>