[GRLUG] google enterprise for email

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Aug 6 19:02:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 13:16 -0400, Don Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:15 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 14:05 -0400, Phillip Hebenstreit wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of using the google enterprise for email
> > > services?  I believe GRCC is using google for their email server.  I'd
> > > especially be interested in hearing from someone on the IT side of things at
> > > GRCC or other place using google for email.
> >
> > Company I work for switched from
> > qmail/courier/spamassassin/squirellmail/etc to using Google Apps and
> > Google Mail... using our own domain name and so on.
> >
> > It relatively easy to setup and get working. My only problem is they
> > don't really support "evolution" very well yet.
> >
> > Other than that, my only gripe is: why didn't we do it earlier.
>
> I host our own email server here at work and it's a royal PITA dealing
> with spamassassin when users can't get or send email to customers or
> vendors.
> What do you mean by they don't support evolution that well? What
> problems might one encounter with it? And I'm definitely intrigued by
> it if it garners Greg's approval. Sorry Greg, I sorta use you for a
> sounding board. =)

When I say they don't support Evolution, that really means, if you call
for support with a problem with evolution... that means they won't
support you.

They Support T-Bird (IceDove in my case) and other "popular" Open Source
and Proprietary Mail Clients.

Calendar works well, integrates with Evo, Pidgin and googletalk and
evolution all line up well now. Contacts are shared from Evolution.

Of course, I run Debian SID (plus experimental as you guys just saw) and
recently things have been coming together very well. The Freeze for
Lenny has had some nice effects.

Over all, my only real concern is sometimes, the service is a bit
slow... and there are times that my client is serviced out of a google
domain such as googlemail.co.za when things are crunchy here is the US.

Haven't lost a message yet.

One improvement would be "rules ordering" or being able to set execution
priority for "filters" filters as they call them.

The rules can only be made/changed from the Web-interface ATM. But
overall they do a nice job for me.

Google Apps is nearly perfect for what we want, mail still lags a bit,
but is coming along nicely.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2