[GRLUG] First timer on this list

Joseph Harnish josephharnish at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 07:21:44 EDT 2008

Well here is my 2 cents:

>From my experience you are going to have problems finding developers
for two reasons.  First being that you have only really tinkered with
Linux that means you probably have contributed to any other projects
and secondly because of your (possible) lack of development support
for other projects, developers would want to see a code base that they
see the potential.   I have been using Linux for 11 years and I have
seen too many projects that have really good goals that don't have
good talented leadership fail to get off the ground.  I am not saying
that you are untalented but without examples of contributions it is
hard to get away from that comparison.

So what you probably want to do first is make some basic decisions.
IE are you going to use an existing framework.  Go out to
Freshmeat.net and look at them.  If you use a framework that is
actively being developed you will get some upstream support.  This
will also help with a more rapid development.  Once you get those
decisions made put some code together that compiles and runs.  It can
be pretty basic but other developers are really going to judge
you/this project based on a compile and run.  When you have this code
create a project on Sourceforge and announce on freshmeat.

Starting on a local level would probably help get it off the ground if
you offered a hackfest at a bar or something.  Where a couple of free
pitchers of beer show up on the table.  :)  I mean it couldn't hurt.

--Joe