[GRLUG] LaTeX books

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Aug 3 14:19:34 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 07:40:15AM -0700, John Harig wrote:
> Yes your best bet is to is to access the many free
> books online like Mr. Mol suggests.  I did a
> presentation on LaTeX at the wmlug a couple months
> ago.
>
> I do have the LaTeX Companion Box Set, but since new
> packages are coming all the time, and I think they are
> on LaTeX 3 now, you are better off accessing the
> documentation.  It's nice having a reference book for
> commands, but they really aren't better or offer
> anything more than the free online stuff (but I
> contributed to the project buy buying).

Thank you.  It is convenient to have a book handy, but knowing that
last part is helpful.

[snip]

> There is also a LyX frontend that uses LaTeX as an
> engine if you want to try a more "visual" approach
> first (though .lyx files are in their own separate
> format/language).

I started out with LyX but after finally discovering the difference
between a layout and a document class I realized LyX was in many ways
limiting.  So I jumped right into LaTeX proper, with Kile (Kile is the
*only* reason I have a single KDE library installed on my laptop).  I
am now comfortable enough with LaTeX that I can write a document in
vim, but I want to learn more so I can begin creating more complex
documents this fall.

Thanks.

[snip]
--